Friday, April 18, 2008

GOOGLE-MEDLINEPLUS CHALLENGE

I choose Autism as my topic to search in Google and Medlineplus. I was very surprise with the different results I got. The search with Google was very fast and easy, I just had to type Autism in the search field. The results were so many excellent variety web pages with out going to links. Looking at the top ten results the top three hits were dot org, three dot gov, two dot com, and two more dot org.

Searching the topic Autism on Medlineplus was easy and quick but the results or hits were not diverse. The top three hits were the same web page addresses. Eight of the hits were dot gov and two of them dot org. There were many sponsored links.

Google seems to have the ability to bring from diverse sources unlike Medline. I would probably start with Medline to get information from concentrated sources then go to Google to find sources from variety sources.


3 Comments:

At April 22, 2008 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Info.Maniac said...

Hi Asmeret,
That's funny, I would probably start with google, because it pulled up medline too. If it is a question that I am unfamiliar with I will start with google, but if I know at least a little about the question and it is health related I will try medline or even the World Health Organization.
Thanks for reading. See you tomorrow.
Ellie

 
At May 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Laura said...

When I did the challenge I searched on pancreatic cancer and preferred the MedlinePlus results, but now I think Google may be preferable in certain instances. For example, if you need a quick definition or overview of a disease or condition, Google may be the way to go, because it's fast and easier to tailor a search in.

On the other hand, Medline may be more useful for an in-depth search, where the patron wants to gather as much pertinent information as possible from trusted sources.

 
At June 11, 2008 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Honoré said...

Which one to consult first? I think it's a call we probably make or will make each time; I'd probably go to MedlinePlus, in most instances, but...on the other hand.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home